The Impinj® Indy®R500 UHF Gen 2 RFID reader chip is based on the industry leading Indy®R2000 silicon architecture. The R500 is pin compatible with the R2000 reader chip and operates on the same software platform as the R1000 and R2000 reader chips. The R500 compliments the Indy platform by enabling a cost-optimized solution for applications requiring moderate read range of small tag populations. The Indy R500 read range can vary from a few meters to a few inches depending on the following factors: transmit output power, reader antenna properties and tag performance.
The Indy R500 reader chip supports worldwide UHF industrial, science, and medical (ISM) band. The Indy R500 reader chip comprises all of the RF and baseband blocks to interrogate and receive data from compatible RFID tags, specifically:
- High compression point quadrature down-converting mixer
- Fully integrated voltage controlled oscillator (VCO) supporting 840 to 960Mhz operation
- Variable receiver (RX) gain control
- Integrated Power Amplifier (PA), up to 20dBm peak power
- Integrated RF envelope detectors for forward and reverse power sense
- Integrated multipurpose Analog-to-Digital Converts (ADCs) and Digital-to-Analog Converters (DACs)
- Configurable baseband DSP processing offers numerous configurations and optimal performance
When used in the Indy Development Platform, which includes an example protocol processor and radio control implementation, the result is a fully functional UHF Gen 2 RFID reader.