You may want to change the IP address from the default DHCP to a fixed address. For this procedure, you will need to connect to either the Console port or the Ethernet port on the reader.
- Start by downloading PuTTY from the following location: http://www.putty.org/
- Launch the PuTTY application. If prompted, run the program as administrator.
- On the PuTTY Configuration screen, follow the appropriate steps depending on which port on the reader you are connected to:
a) If you're connected to the Ethernet Port on the reader
i. Choose "SSH" Connection type.
ii. Enter the reader's host name in the "HostName (or IP address)". The hostname for the Revolution reader is: speedwayr-xx-yy-zz where xx-yy-zz is the last three sections of the MAC address.
b) If you're connected to the Console Port on the reader
i. Click "Serial" from the Category menu on the left
ii. Enter the following information:
- Serial line to connect to: Fill in the Com port for connecting to your reader
(For example, type "COM9" without quotes)
- Speed (baud): 115200
- Data bits: 8
- Stop bits: 1
- Parity: None
- Flow control: None
iii. Click "Session" from the Category menu on the left
iv. Choose the "Serial" radio button as the Connection type.
- Click "Open".
- You should get a SpeedwayR login. If you see a blank screen, hit "Enter" button once.
- Type the following login and password information:
a) Login: root
b) Password: impinj
(the letters may not be shown as you type them)
- Once you've successfully logged in, you will see the following screen. You are now logged into the reader's RShell interface.
- To find out the reader's IP address, type the following at the RShell prompt:
> show network summary
The results (as shown below) indicate a couple of things:
a) ipAddressMode = 'Dynamic' means this reader is set to acquire its IP address via DHCP. If this reader was set to a fixed IP address, this would say 'Static'.
b) ipAddress = '192.168.0.20' indicates this is the IP address for this reader.
- To change the IP address, type the following at the RShell prompt:
To set reader to DHCP:
> config network ip dynamic
To set reader to fixed IP address:
> config network ip static 192.168.0.20
> config network ip static 192.168.0.20 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.255
(where IP = 192.168.0.20; Netmask = 255.255.255.0; Gateway = 192.168.0.1 and Broadcast Address = 192.168.0.255)
NOTE: consult the RShell Reference Manual for additional details.
- To exit from the RShell connection, type the following at the RShell prompt: