You may want to change the IP address from the default DHCP to a static address. For this procedure, you will need to connect to either the Console port or the Ethernet port on the reader.
- Start by downloading PuTTY from the link below, if you have not already done so: http://www.putty.org/
- Launch PuTTY. If prompted, run it as administrator.
- On the PuTTY Configuration screen, follow the appropriate steps depending on which port on the reader you are connected to:
a) If you're connected to the Ethernet Port on the reader
i. Choose "SSH" Connection type (default).
ii. Enter the reader's hostname in the "Host Name (or IP address)" field. The hostname for the reader is: speedwayr-xx-yy-zz where xx-yy-zz is the last three sections of the MAC address.
b) If you're connected to the Console Port on the reader
i. Choose "Serial" for Connection type.
ii. In "Serial line" field, enter the COM port number (<- how to find it?)
iii. In "Speed" field, enter 115200.
- Click "Open" button.
- You should get an RShell login prompt. If you see a blank screen, hit the "Enter" key once.
- Type the following login and password information:
a) Login: root
b) Password: impinj
(the password may not be shown as you type them)
- Once you've successfully logged in, you will see something similar to the following. You are now logged into the reader's RShell interface.
- To find out the reader's IP address, type the following at the RShell prompt:
> show network summary
The results (as shown below) indicate a couple of things:
a) ipAddressMode = 'Dynamic' means this reader is set to acquire its IP address via DHCP. If this reader was set to a static IP address, it would say 'Static'.
b) ipAddress = '192.168.0.20' indicates this is the IP address for this reader.
- To change the IP address, type the following at the RShell prompt:
a) To set reader to DHCP:
> config network ip dynamic
b) To set reader to a static IP address:
> config network ip static xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
("xxx"s are values between 1 and 255. For example, "config network ip static 192.168.0.20")
> config network ip static xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
(for example, if you type:
> config network ip static 192.168.0.20 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.255
you are configuring the IP address, Netmask, Gateway, and Broadcast Address respectively, separated by a space character)
NOTE: consult the RShell Reference Manual for additional details.
- To exit from the RShell interface, type the following at the RShell prompt:
How to find COM port number
- Press the Windows key and R at the same time. Run dialog opens.
- Enter devmgmt.msc and click OK button. If prompted, choose Yes.
- In Device Manager, expand Ports (COM & LPT).
- Find "USB Serial Port (COMx) entry. Use this COM port number in PuTTY's serial connection (in the example below, it is COM4).