The following methods are available for installing / upgrading Impinj Speedway Connect on-reader software:
Install / Upgrade Impinj Speedway Connect software through the Impinj Management Web UI
Impinj Speedway RAIN RFID readers and gateways support installing / upgrading Impinj Speedway Connect software using the Impinj Management Web UI.
- Connect to the Impinj reader/gateway using a web browser to a URL formatted like http://<reader hostname or IP address>
Examples: http://speedwayr-10-00-dd.local/, http://xarray-11-00-dd.local, http://xspan-11-00-dd.local, or http://10.0.10.44 (sometimes the .local is needed)
Note: If having trouble connecting to the reader, we would recommend going through our troubleshooting guide which can be found here.
- Log in to the reader.
- Click the "Browse" button under the 'Reader Upgrade' section and then select the Impinj Speedway Connect software .upg file.
- Click the Upgrade button.
- After the upgrade is complete (Last Operation Status will indicate this), click the "Reboot" button in the section below.
Install / Upgrade Impinj Speedway Connect Software Automatically via Metafile
This is an automatic install / upgrade method that, after it has been configured, allows an Impinj reader or gateway to:
- periodically retrieve an Install / Upgrade Configuration Metafile
- determine from the configuration data if an install / upgrade needs to be performed
This mode also allows simultaneous installs / upgrades of Impinj Speedway Connect software through the use of a single Upgrade Configuration Metafile. For this method, the user creates a custom Upgrade Configuration Metafile (“Metafile”). The Metafile is stored on a remote server. The user configures the location of the Metafile as a URI. The Impinj reader or gateway downloads the Metafile at a configurable periodic interval, called the retrieve period. The Impinj reader then uses the content of the Metafile to make automatic install / upgrade decisions. The Impinj reader remembers the retrieve mode, retrieve period, and URI across power cycles. This allows the Impinj reader to resume the auto method after a system reboot. Typically, when the Impinj reader retrieves the Metafile, it finds that no install / upgrade is needed. In the absence of any Metafile changes on the server, the Impinj Speedway Connect software version that is running and the Metafile versions are the same.
Example of Metafile
- Installing / Upgrading Speedway Connect 2.6.0 on R420
- Auto retrieval period = 60 min
- Metafile is stored on an HTTP serve at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx as an example
reader-model: "Speedway R420"
You can simply copy the above, paste into Notepad, modify the URI according to your environment, save it as metafile.txt, and place it on a file server of your choice.
For more detail about this upgrade method, please consult the Firmware Upgrade Reference Manual available here.