The Impinj R700 RAIN RFID reader comes with the "Impinj IoT Device interface" (see Note), in addition to the conventional "Impinj LLRP Interface". You can test and explore specific RAIN RFID settings with the Impinj R700 preset feature via the reader configuration REST API. This article describes how to enable the Impinj IoT Device Interface, use the web UI to create an inventory preset, and verify tag reads.
Note: In the reader firmware 7.4.1 and before, the "Impinj IoT Device Interface" is displayed as the "RESTful Interface" in the reader web UI.
- Impinj R700 reader
- An antenna, connected to port 1 of Impinj R700 reader
- One or more RAIN RFID tags
- A host computer, such as Windows 10 machine
- A web browser, such as Google Chrome
- Command prompt program with curl command (comes with Windows 10)
Enabling Impinj IoT Device Interface
You are able to interact with the Impinj R700 through the Impinj IoT Device Interface which has two components – web UI and reader configuration REST API. By default, Impinj R700 is configured to use the Impinj LLRP Interface. Here is how to switch from the Impinj LLRP Interface to the Impinj IoT Device Interface.
1) Go to the Impinj R700 web UI by entering the Impinj R700 hostname or the IP address in a web browser's URL field, as shown below:
(xx-xx-xx is the last 3 pairs of the R700's MAC address)
http://<IP address of Impinj R700>
2) On the righthand side of the web UI, click on the pull-down menu in "Available Interfaces" under READER INTERFACE section, and select "Impinj IoT Device Interface", as shown below:
3) Click "Update" link to apply the change. Click "OK" when asked to confirm.
4) Notice that "Reader Interface" now shows "Impinj IoT Device Interface", and a new line called "Web Interface" appears below "Reader Interface".
5) Reboot the Impinj R700 by clicking "Reboot" link.
How to use Impinj R700 preset feature
1) Once you enabled the Impinj IoT Device Interface, click the "Preview" link in the "Web Interface" option. The "Profile Presets" page will open.
2) Click the "Create New Inventory Preset" button.
3) Enter the following values in the corresponding fields. You can leave the rest of the fields blank for now.
|Transmit Power||2200 (Note)|
|Search Mode||Dual Target|
Note: Transmit power of 2200 means 22.00 dBm. You can change this value by increment or decrement of 25. For example, 1875 is 18.75 dBm, and 2450 is 24.50 dBm, etc.
4) When done, click the "Submit" button at bottom of the screen to create a new preset.
Verifying that preset is working
You can verify that the preset you just created is working by running a curl command and displaying tag reads.
1) Open a command prompt or terminal window, type the following command, and hit Enter key:
curl -G -4 http://<IP address or Hostname>/api/v1/data/stream
Note: If you are running the reader firmware 7.4.0 with the default settings, please use the following curl command instead.
curl -G -4 -k https://root:impinj@<IP address or Hostname>/api/v1/data/stream
Now the command prompt program is connected to the Impinj R700 and waiting for the data stream to come in.
2) Go back to the browser where you configured the preset, and click "Home" at the top left corner of the screen.
3) In the "Test" row, click the "Start" link to start the preset, as shown below:
4) Go to the command prompt window. Now you should see something similar to the following:
The above indicates that the preset is correctly running and ready to display tag reads.
5) Place a tag on the antenna. Now you should see some tag reads, as shown below:
6) To stop the preset, click the "Stop" button on the preset home page, as shown below: